Seminar on Estate Planning (LGBT-Focused)
UChicago LGBT Alumni Network event
Registration Required: http://www.uchicagolgbtalumni.org/article.html?aid=181
In a nation with laws that are not uniform by state or district for LGBT couples, there is extra work to make sure that our estates are in order. So bring your valentine or come on your own to discuss these issues with Megan Wallace, an attorney who focuses on the estate planning needs of our community. She will talk about the services that are available and the planning that is required to protect yourself and your spouse or partner. Some topics to be addressed in this interactive discussion include:
- Planning opportunities available in a Last Will and Testament, including testamentary trusts;
- The advantages and disadvantages of a Revocable (Living) Trust;
- Naming an agent to make medical decisions for you;
- Authorizing an agent to make your burial decisions;
- Naming an agent to make financial decisions on your behalf;
- Gifting hazards that particularly apply to LGBT couples;
- How to properly complete a beneficiary form; and
- Advantages of a life insurance trust.
Come prepared with your questions and Megan will do her best to answer them.
Lipman Hearne has agreed to host the event at their DC office. Lipman Hearne developed a brand platform and ad campaign for the University of Chicago Booth School of Business in order to boost its worldwide presenence. Read more about it here.
The event will begin at 6:00PM, with the discussion to begin by 6:30PM. Drinks and light fare will be provided; feel free to bring a guest. Please register and we hope to see you there! Free event, but please register on this page - see the box to the right.
Questions? Contact Dave Wells, , or Andrew Bulmer, .